Pre-Inspections can be an invaluable tool for home owners trying to sell their home. For the buyer, this inspection is of little value. You cannot use this report for negotiation purposes and it does not protect you in the event a serious problem was not disclosed by the preinspection company. You must hire your own inspection company to work for you and protect your interests. Below we have included several case studies on homes in which we inspected for a prospective buyer. Each home was pre-inspected by a reputable local home inspection company.
Pre-Inspection: The pre-inspection said the roof had some cracking but many years of service life remaining.
What We Discovered: We noted severe cracking and holes in the roof. We also determined that the attic ventilation was inadequate and the likely causee of the cracking. In the attic space there were several active leaks. On there interior there were water stains on the ceiling. We declared this roof to be near the end of its useful life and may be difficult to insure. The insurance carrier for the buyer and a third party roofer declared the roof uninsurable and at the end of its useful life.
Case Study #2: Windows
Pre-Inspection: The pre-inspection did not mention any defects with the windows.
What We Discovered: On the outside of the home, we noted several areas of wood rot. The deck was installed incorrectly allowing moisture to get behind the siding. On the interior of the home, we noted multiple windows with water staining and wood rot. After the home was purchased, the buyer decided to replace windows based on our findings. During the course of window replacement, the real damage was revealed around the windows. There was significant rot to the wall framing with mold present.
Case Study #3: Siding
Pre-Inspection: The Pre-Inspection disclosed that the home had stucco for the exterior siding material and was in good condition.
What We Discovered: We discovered that the home was in fact clad in synthetic stucco or EIFS. None of the exterior details were installed correctly and there was potential for significant water leakage and damage. The home was repaired by the home owners prior to closing and it was found that there was significant damage around the front windows and where some of the improperly installed details were.
Case Study #4: Roof
Pre-Inspection: The Pre-Inspection disclosed that the home had "multiple" layers of roofing material and that the layers would have to be removed prior to reroofing.
What We Discovered: We discovered that the home had 3 layers of roofing material. A wood shingle roof with 2 layers of composition shingles on top. 3 layers of roofing material is a code violation and not insurable. Roofs with composition shingles on top of wood roofs are also not insurable in most cases.
Case Study #5: Electrical, Mold, Attic Issues
Pre-Inspection: The Pre-Inspection report contained very few defects and there were no repairs recommended.
What We Discovered: We discovered mold in the basement, crawlspace, front entry closet, garage, bathrooms and attic space. There were multiple plumbing leaks throughout the house. The electrical system had extensive problems with numerous fire and safety hazards. The dryer vent was discharging into the attic space creating a significant fire hazard in the attic space.