The Mold Testing Assessment
The initial step in the mold inspection process is the mold testing assessment is a walk through of the entire property to find any water leaks and potential sources of mold. This may include, but is not limited to:
Interior and Exterior mold assessment
Inspect the basement and the garage for visible mold, water
leakage or moisture issues
Inspect crawl spaces and attics for mold, water leakage or
Inspect the HVAC system and filters for visible mold
Areas of potential concern discovered during the initial
mold assessment will be documented and photographed.
When testing for mold, we attempt to gather as much
information as possible during the initial mold assessment.
This will help direct our observations and focus our attention on any known problems.
Based on our initial observations we will make recommendations on whether sampling would be warranted and with your approval we will take samples of suspect areas and non-suspect areas to determine the factor of the mold problem and/or if a mold problem exists. The sampling methods can include air samples, tape samples or swab samples. Exterior samples are also taken for comparison when applicable.
If you answer "yes" to any of the following questions, consider a mold inspection or mold testing:
Is there a "musty smell any where in the home or structure?
Are there visible signs of water damage anywhere?
Has the structure ever experienced a leaking basement?
Has the structure ever experienced a roof leak?
Has the structure ever experienced a plumbing leak?
Has the structure ever experienced other water problems?
If any of the structures occupants have experienced any of the following adverse health effects, it may indicate that mold is present in the environment:
sinus congestion, nausea, sneezing, runny nose, coughing, skin rashes, fatigue, flu-like systems,
headaches, restlessness, dizziness, irritation of the eyes, nose or throat, wheezing fevers, asthma,
People at high risk for adverse reactions to mold exposure are:
Infants, Children, Elderly, Immune Compromised Individuals, Pregnant Women, Individuals with Existing
Mold is a microscopic organism found virtually everywhere indoors and outdoors. Mold can be found on food, plants, and other organic material. Mold can also be found on cardboard, paper, ceiling tile, sheetrock, carpet, carpet padding, wood, plaster and air conditioning ducts. Mold spores are easily detached and may become airborne. Mold has the potential to cause serious health problems. Molds produce allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold.
Black Mold or Stachybotrys (Toxic Mold) is a greenish-black mold that grows well in high cellulose material
such as straw, hay, wet leaves, dry wall, carpet, wallpaper, fiber-board, ceiling tiles, thermal insulation, etc.
It does not grow on plastic, vinyl, concrete, or ceramic tiles. Black mold is not the green mold on bread or
the black mold you see on the shower tiles. The black mold or toxic mold can grow in areas where the
relative humidity is above 55%. Stachybotrys or black mold produces a mycotoxin that causes human
mycotoxicosis. This type of mold is thought to be a possible cause of the “Sick Building Syndrome”.
For more information you can contact the Environmental Protection Agency and they will provide you with numerous sources of free information regarding this issue.